Welcome to the Cowichan Valley Branch of the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA). The association, founded in 1918, is one of Canada’s oldest voluntary associations, and is the only one that deals with all aspects of mental health and illness. The strength of our organization is in its people. We treat all people with respect, honesty and trust, and seek every opportunity to preserve human dignity through equality, fairness, and respecting freedom of choice. The primary focus of this organization, are the rights and needs of persons involved in the mental health system.
As the nation-wide leader and champion for mental health, CMHA facilitates access to the resources people require to maintain and improve mental health and community integration, build resilience, and support recovery from mental illness and addiction.
Our Key Values and Principles:
- Embracing the voice of people with mental health and addiction issues
- Promoting inclusion
- Working collaboratively
- Influencing the social determinants of health (e.g. housing, justice)
- Focusing on the mental health needs of all age groups
- Using evidence to inform our work
- Being transparent and accountable