Mental health affects us all. Yet too often, this vital part of our wellbeing is dismissed or stigmatized, leaving people suffering in silence. By being open and talking about mental health, we can break down stigma and make sure everyone gets the support they need.
Each year at the beginning of May, mental health associations, community organizations and service providers celebrate Mental Health Week. The goals of Mental Health Week include:
- increase awareness around mental health
- highlight community programming
- reduce stigma and increase empathy
In the Cowichan Valley, Mental Health Week has included fundraising campaigns, open houses, social media campaigns and more. As a result of COVID-19, this year our campaign will be digital. To this end, we have created '7 Ways in 7 Days' - daily actions to increase awareness and support for mental health that includes a series of videos (below) and other actions to provide insight into our programs, our staff and the clients that we serve.
Many thanks to Luke Cross Photography for supporting this project.
If you would like to make a donation to support any of these programs, please visit the donate section of our website. All donations over $20 will receive a tax receipt.
7 WAYS TO TAKE ACTION ON MENTAL HEALTH IN 7 DAYS:
- Monday, May 4 Take a Virtual Tour of BikeWorks/ArtWorks/DiscoveryWorks. View on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram - share, like, comment and share with your friends.
- Tuesday, May 5 (Also #GivingTuesday) Find out how you can support the Share a Meal with Warmland campaign. Learn how it works, talk to your friends and co-workers, share details on social media. Donate if possible.
- Wednesday, May 6 View Welcome to the Overdose Prevention Site video. View on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. Share, like and comment to increase understanding and compassion.
- Thursday, May 7 Explore Membership of our local CMHA. Get involved and become an advocate for mental health in Cowichan Valley.
- Friday, May 8 View Inside Warmland House - Meet Caring Staff and Clients video on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. Share, like and comment to increase understanding and compassion.
- Saturday, May 9 - Find out how you can support Warmland Shelter’s Laundry Upgrade campaign. Read, share and donate if you are able. Tell your friends about this important campaign.
- Sunday, May 10 View A Virtual Visit with Open Door Youth Services Centre Advisors video on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. Share, like, comment and invite friends to learn about this program.
Our 2020 Mental Health Week Videos:
A Virtual Tour of BikeWorks|ArtWorks|DiscoveryWorks, Mental Health Week 2020 #GetReal
A Visit to the Overdose Prevention Site, Mental Health Week 2020 #GetReal
Welcome to Warmland: A Visit with Clients and Staff, Mental Health Week 2020 #GetReal
A Virtual Visit to the Open Door Youth Services Centre, Mental Health Week 2020 #GetReal
If you have enjoyed our video series, please take a moment to share with your networks and help us reduce stigma and increase compassion for those we serve.